Wednesday, May 23, 2012

May is for Megan

Life is full of people coming and going but somehow it never gets easier to say goodbye. Sadly my friend/co-worker Megan told me that she would be moving back to Saskatchewan. The only thing that makes me ok with it, is how happy is was making her. She grew up in there and it's where her family still is. She's gone to school and has a pretty solid idea of what she wants to do and what it's gunna take to do it. She's also been living the big city life here in Van for over 4 years.

One of the biggest downsides to living in this fantastic city is the cost of living. The majority of people I know here are all working 2 jobs and at the end of each month are still struggling to pull in rent. It leaves little to no possible way of saving anything without totally becoming a no-social-life-shut-in eating nothing but oatmeal, rice, and beans.

Before she made her final decision, she was brainstorming out a pro's and con's list. I'm pretty sure her and I both knew that even before she had put anything on the list the decision was already made. The seed of an idea was planted! She sent me a text a few days later that said she was leaving in a month :( 


One of the funny/major cons was how cold it gets there. We complain sometimes about how cold it gets here...3°C HA! But because of all the rain and how damp it gets, it feels a lot colder, realistically we know it's nothing compared to the -30 Saskatchewan winters.
I knew I couldn't let her leave without crocheting her something awesome, and I had a month to do it. She's mentioned to me before about her family's cabin, swimming at the lake and chill'n by the fire, I figured a blanket would be the perfect gift.

I've made baby blankets before, but nothing "adult" size. I've also never done much of anything with granny squares. So I decided on one giant granny square!


Michaels was having a sale on wool and I thankfully found the perfect vintage-hipster-esque colours that I thought she would like. I had no idea how much I would need of each colour to get the size that I wanted so I just grabbed one extra big skein of each - 5 total.


The overall size when I was done/ran out of wool was about 4 1/2 ft x 4 1/2, perfect! And took me just over 2 weeks to finish. I was worried about not having enough time between family and work but I managed to maximized my time by crocheting on the bus, 10 minutes on my break, and for a hour or so when I got home from work :D


We met yesterday afternoon (She leaves on Sunday) and I gave it to her. She was thrilled and we enjoyed a delicious lunch at the Red Wagon. There is seriously nothing more satisfying than making something for someone and seeing how happy it makes them. I hope she has many picnics and nights by the fire with this blanket. 


Although I'm sad to see her go I know she's going to do great things and I will see her again someday. I'm going to miss you Megan, Saturday "Beat" nights won't be the same without you <3
You can also check out her blog here for awesome food, fashion and good times!

0 comments:

Post a Comment