Sunday, April 29, 2012

Hillside Cacti

It's a 2 for 1 post today, crochet and wine combined!
My man and I were invited last Tuesday night to my co-worker/super pal Daves house warming party. His cousin has just recently moved to the city and they both just scored this awesome new apartment literally across the ally from his old one, which is also conveniently one block away from my house. Their place is fantastic, full size fridge AND stove (ahhh the things in life you take for granted) more than enough space for 2 people, and a private little backyard patio, I had no hesitation of expressing my jealousy. The party was just what a good party should be, drinks, food, and awesome people. I had a great time, the drinks were especially well deserved cause earlier that day I clocked in about another 3 hours on my chest piece annnnnd it's a little sore - I cannot wait until it's done, it looks so amazing already!

But anyways back to Daves. I already knew I was going to bring him a bottle of wine as a housewarming gift but I felt like it needed a little more "Heather was here" kinda touch. So one afternoon I whipped out my crochet hook, dug through some bags of yarn and made him a happy little cacti.
 


I assumed a plant was a pretty traditional house warming gift and I felt a handmade gift was WAY more thoughtful. It turned out so cute and perfect that I wanted to keep it for myself! Needless to say, Dave also loved it, and everyone else who saw it either smiled or laughed which is exactly what I wanted.

As for the wine, I had picked up this particular bottle a few weeks back as it was brand new to the store (Swirl). The man and I had finished half the bottle one night, then the next night after work I took the rest over to Daves. He expressed then how much he enjoyed it so I knew it would be perfect. 


Hillside Wineries signature white, 2011 Muscat Ottonel. Hillside's original owners Bohumir and Vera Klokocka from Czechoslovakia were the first BC winery to produce the grape. Most Eastern European countries used this varietal for dessert wines and some drier whites. That being said when we first opened up it had a wonderful flower bouquet nose. All I could think of was sitting in the grass in the sun on a super hot day, with a glass of this in my hand. The flavours were so light and fresh, citrus with a hint of spice at the end, it was just so lush and delicious! Apparently they only make about 700 cases, and I've already bought 2 bottles so that's like, only 8398 bottles left! This is also my staff pick at Swirl ($20 a pop) AND they just had the Naramata spring release tasting here in Vancouver (I should say New West) as well as a bunch other spring release tastings coming up, and I'm sure this wine will sell out fast!

0 comments:

Post a Comment